Thursday, February 18, 2016

Local Revision: Variety

This blog post is going to review my syntax and how it varies throughout the document.

1. How much variation is there in your sentence structures in the current draft? Can you spot any repetitive or redundant sentence patterns in your writing? Provide a cogent analysis of what the Rules for Writers reading tells you about your sentences.
     I think that there is a good amount of variation in my document.  I tried my best to vary my sentence structure because it used to be an issue present in my writing.  I try to switch up the length of my sentences so that the reader does not get bored while reading my article. I think that it is important to keep concise sentences that just simply state information rather than have long sentences that ramble on, much like this one.  I have always had a rambling problem, so I really need to make sure that the sentences in the document are not too lengthy.  If the sentences get too long, the reader can easily get confused and the information can come off as skewed to them.

2. What about paragraph structures, including transitions between different paragraphs (or, for video/audio projects, different sections of the project)?
      I think that this is one of the best organizational aspects of my QRG that I included.  I spaced out each paragraph so the information didn't come off as one giant block of words that might scare the reader into not wanting to spend his/her time with it.  In addition to the white spaces that I included, I also added subtitles or headers to introduce the topic of each section.  This was an important aspect of the document because if the reader was just skimming, they would be able to easily locate the section of information they wanted to find more out about.
Coghlin, Michael. "Vocabulary Lover". 11/22/12 via Flicker.
Creative Commons Generic License.   

3. What about vocabulary? Is there variety and flavor in your use of vocabulary? What are the main strengths and weaknesses of the draft's approach to vocabulary?
     My vocabulary has never really been a good part of my writing, however I tried to use a thesaurus so that I wouldn't repeat the same words over and over again.  Especially with the word vaccination, support, and oppose, I really tried to incorporate other synonyms for those words so that my paragraphs don't blend together and bore the reader with the repetition.  I think that there is a decent amount of variety and flavor in my use of vocabulary.  However, like I said earlier, the main weaknesses of my approach to vocabulary is that I don't have a strong vocabulary background, so the thesaurus is my best friend.  Although in some cases, the thesaurus gives bad options for replacement words.  So in those cases, repetition seems to be inevitable.

No comments:

Post a Comment