Thursday, February 18, 2016

Local Revision: Pronoun Usage

This is going to be a follow up post to the long list of pronouns that I posted in the blog entry earlier.

1. Based on your analysis, how effective is your pronoun usage in Project 1? What does actively examining your pronoun usage tell you about your writing style?
 
  I think that I don't use as many pronouns as I usually do when I write.  I specifically tried my best to avoid using pronouns and simply focus on being clear about what or who I was writing about.  However, after reading my long list of pronouns that I actually ended up using throughout my project, I realized that there is still room for improvement.  I think that I need to continue to work towards cutting out useless pronouns and just use the word of what it is that I am trying to describe.  Not only would that help my readers when they are reading, but it would significantly help the flow of my writing in general.  I know that I tend to ramble, so pronouns tend to get stuck in those rambling instances.  So, I need to be aware of when I am doing that so that I can look out for any unnecessary pronouns in my writing.

Hunt, Tara. "Audience". 09/09/13 via Flicker.
Creative Commons Generic License.  
2. Are there any instances in your project where you speak to or refer directly to the audience? If so, how effective are these moments at creating a bond or connection between audience and author? If not, why not? Explain why you're choosing to leave your audience out of your writing. There's nothing wrong with that, per se, but you should be able to give a sophisticated explanation of your choices.

     There was one instance when I said you, but I decided that I didn't like the way that it sounded when I read over it.  I thought that it was more appropriate to leave the audience out of the article and just let them suck in the information without the content getting in the way of that.  I don't think that the author should be directly speaking to the reader, but I noticed that my writing style has a sort of trust with the reader.  I allow some humor and a bit more of my own voice shine through which in a way connects me to the reader.  However, I really did try to keep the "yous" out of the document.  As I said before, the information is the most important part of the document-not the relationship that I have or don't have with the reader.

No comments:

Post a Comment